Growing tomatoes from seeds is not very difficult. There are some stages to be followed and a lot of patience, so that the results should be satisfying. Here are the steps you should take to growing tomatoes from seeds and in the next posts I’ll give you some advice about the cultivation of tomatoes.
- First you have to decide what type of tomatoes you want to plant in your own garden. It’s a difficult choice because there are many types of tomato seeds. To see exactly the types of seeds, you can visit the page dedicated to this. After you decide about the type, you have to buy: seeds, soil, pots and other useful tools that you can find on the page. This should be done in January and the first part of February.
- In February you have to plant the seeds. There are details about this activity here. There are some steps that have to be taken and my advice is for you to read carefully the article and start working after, so that you won’t damage the seeds you have bought.
- After 3-4 weeks, when the seedlings have 2 real leaves, put each seedling in a separate pot. You can find out how to do this here.
- Until the weather is suitable for planting the seeds in the garden, you have to start preparing the ground layers. And you have to do this carefully if you want to have good crops. Read here about preparing the layers.
- After 2 months and a half from planting the seedlings, they can be re-planted in the garden. This has to be done with care and patience, not to damage the young plants.
- The layers with tomatoes must always be located to the south as they need sun. Until the plant is mature and the tomatoes can be picked up, all you have to do is to clean them from time to time and water them 2 times a day (in the morning and in the evening) and, of course, sprinkle them with natural solutions against pests.
- If everything goes smooth, at the middle of August, you can pick up the tomatoes.
These are the steps to take when cultivating your own tomatoes. This is the short version of what you have to do. For each stage there will be other steps, that I will detail soon.
How to grow organic tomato? - Click Here!